[Freeciv-Dev] Patching Situation (was: PATCH: new messages again)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Patching Situation (was: PATCH: new messages again)
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 17:41:17 -0500

Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
I think that current our current cvs policy is a bit too strict.
We make simple things tough - so small patches as this have to
wait many weeks/months before they get applied - if they get at all!
If someone makes changes that makes game better in any way,
then those changes should be applied _as_soon_as_possible_ because
if not done that way, they will soon get old (CVS changes and
patches don't apply well long after their creation).

I think the problem is that the admins are currently too busy to read through all the patches coming in. This is indeed a problem, and we should try to find a way to address it.

And we shouldn't be so afraid about bugs that might lie in patches
- if there are bugs they will very propably be found and fixed in
very near future because many people test CVS version (no-one seems
to be much interested in playtesting patches!!).

Agreed. In general, patches should be handled as soon as possible. We have to find a way to speed up the process a bit.

Mike