[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Scripting and client-side AI's

To: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Scripting and client-side AI's
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:45:54 +0100

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 01:29:10AM -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>
> >  In fact, client currently knows, in some respects, less than player. This
> > was one of the reasons I gave up cazaic development. (but things are
> > improved since)
> >
> >  For example:
> >  When city changes owner, server sends packet_remove_city for old city and
> > later packet_unit_info for 'new' one (with different city id). Client
> > can't be (always) perfectly sure that these two cities are in fact same
> > city. Any information collected is lost (whether diplomat have already
> > stolen from that city, original builder...).
> >  But as I said, things are improving. This changes any day now.
>
> People who have already looked at the problem should probably start building
> a list of these issues, just as a list of ruleset restrictions is now being
> built.  With a good list in hand, people might be willing to patch the system
> to address the various things on the list.

Currently AFAIK the common client code doesn't hold any kind of
history. The changing of a city owner above is an example. The common
client code also for example doesn't hold any history with respect to
fogging/unfogging. Why should an ocean square with a nice fish
unfogged 20 turns ago change into something else. It isn't likely that
a city with 8 people visited 9 turns ago would vanish.

The human being will remember. Currently the non-human client has no
way except bookkeeping by itself. I would like that the common client
code supports history of things it manages. This history can also by
made accessible to humans.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx