[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bugfix: One way to fix (PR#541)

To: Neil Stevens <multivac@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bugfix: One way to fix (PR#541)
From: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:28:39 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Sunday 07 January 2001 11:10 pm, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
> > >
> > > I thought it was possible in Civ2 to launch without a palace?  It's
> > > been a while, so is my memory just faulty?
> >
> >  It was possible, but I consider it a bug. If you don't need capital in
> > the first place, why would losing it later hurt you?
>
> One can see it as a form of balancing governments.  While it's supposed to
> be hard to win a war under Democracy, the ability to sell your palace and
> launch a spaceship would make it easier to win the space race with
> Democracy.

 You have ability to sell palace and launch spaceship under any form of
government. If you are playing just to win, (almost) nothing that happens
after this does not matter.

 Those special cases where later events do matter, seem quite rare to me:
 - Due to your weakened state, one of your opponents wins by conquer
   (conquers whole world, not just your cities.)
 - Due to your weakened state, one of your opponents can launch spaceship
   that arrives to AC before yours.
 - Your spaceship fails and you have to start building new.
   (Why did you sent unfinished spaceship in the first place, if you have
    enought time to build new one?)

 Caz