[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv into Finnish?

To: Sini Ruohomaa <siruohom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv into Finnish?
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 10:48:17 -0500

At 2000/12/08 09:34 , Sini Ruohomaa wrote:

>I got a must-contribute rush. I want to translate Freeciv into Finnish
>(despite the horrors of fitting anything variable-y into a non-analythical
>language). Didn't look like anyone's working on a translation when I
>checked on the site (or do you just list the finished
>translation-projects?).

No, we list all efforts on the web site at
<http://www.freeciv.org/l10n.phtml>.

>Some things I'm wondering about:
>
>* ,fuzzy - maybe it should even be in the localization faq: should /I/
>  mark things fuzzy and if so, what should I mean by it (= when should
>  something be 'fuzzy')? I'm using the Norwegian translation as my
>  template, after merging it with the pot-file to get some idea on what
>  some cryptic things actually mean - should I remove 'Norwegian fuzzies'
>  if the Finnish version doesn't <insert requirements for being fuzzy
>  here>?

As described in <http://www.freeciv.org/l10n.phtml>, you should manually
mark the entry with an empty msgid as fuzzy.  All other fuzzy entries are
created by running msgmerge.  One chore of a translator is to go throgh and
_remove_ fuzzies (by making sure the so-marked entry is correctly translated).

For definitive information on the gettext system, read the gettext info pages.

>* There's a string 'freeciv version x' somewhere, but I can't find it in
>  the po-template. It shows up in the client window on startup, welcome to
>  the freeciv version x server blahblah. I want to translate the
>  'version', because it isn't obvious that it is English and the sentence
>  looks odd  (version means "version's" in Finnish). Is it translateable
>  (is it just that I haven't looked hard enough)?

These strings are not yet translatable.  I just submitted a bug about this.

jjm