Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Scripting and client-side AI's

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Scripting and client-side AI's
From: Jesdyn Flamestrike <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 01:16:37 -0600

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 12:41:50AM -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> The easiest way to do this, IMO, would be to go ahead and start adding
> client-side scripting to the player clients, and then bootstrap a true
> client AI off the scripted player clients.

Non-portable.

Don't attach scripting to the client directly. Make a new client that's just
an AI. Client code, no display functionality at all -- it can send info
messages to the server or something.

Attach scripting to IT, in whatever language you like -- but trying to add
scripting to all clients is just gonna cause some heartache. "I need -what-?
GUILE? Can I get by with stealth?"

--
Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>