Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI again!

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI again!
From: ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 22:29:11 -0800

In <381607903.977811643990.JavaMail.root@web393-mc>, on 12/26/00
   at 01:20 AM,   ½    <iquin@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

:There have been so much complaints about the AI codes on the list from
:time to time. The only way getting out of this (IMHO) would be to
:completely rewrite the AI.

I am in full agreement. The current AI code is structured to play like a
beginner. This is not an issue of code quality, but rather one of high
level structure. Most of the low level code can be reused.

:This is not something could be done in a week or two.

Also true. But if a number of use spent a week or two discussing the
approach, we could be well on the way to developing  something worthwhile.

:Again, I would like to call for client-side AI.

I have adopted this approach for two main reason. First, because greatly
reduces the temptation to obtain good AI by "cheating", and (perhaps more
importantly) because it isolates the AI code from the ongoing changes to
the current server code.

:We need a stable
:protocol or at least a protocol translator which enable coders to
:develop their own AIs without fear of future version mismatch.

I agree that version mismatch is a real problem, but I haven't yet found
any need for a protocol translator. What would be a big help, however,
would be gaining agreement for adding some fields to some of the common
structures. For example, adding a field to the current unit structure to
show which way the unit is currently facing.

:Of course, we can still maintain the current AI until a good new AI (or
:even some good new AIs) previals.

But only to buy time!

Best,
        -- Chuck Crayne