Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: On implementing changes in basic city handling

To: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: On implementing changes in basic city handling
From: Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:09:49 -0600

Mike Jing wrote:

> That's what I am trying to figure out.  How are those magic numbers arrived
> at anyway?

That's why they're magic.

They're heuristics, every one of 'em -- the guy who did the AI code
simply found that those numbers worked best in his estimations,
simulations, and, as far as we can determine, ritual sacrifices.

The AI code is what originally attracted me to FreeCiv -- showed me. \8
(:

There's pretty good hooks installed; if anyone else wanted to write an
AI, they could... but that beast saps my strength.

And any AI I wrote would either be ICS or get steamrolled anyways, so
maybe I'll just hang on. 'Course, that's what I've been saying since I
saw that thing... least I know -why- I don't like playing FreeCiv right
now. Darn smallpox.

 - Asher