Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: alpha patch to provide wonder creation eye-candy

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: alpha patch to provide wonder creation eye-candy
From: John Heidemann <johnh@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:10:08 -0800

>Attached is an alpha-quality patch to provide wonder creation
>eye-candy (the PR I submitted last weekend).  The patch is against the
>current CVS archive.  To use this you need to apply it and rebuild
>both the client and the server, and get some sample graphics from
><http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/PUBLIC/build.tar.gz> (extract them into the
>new directory misc/build).  Then, when you build a wonder that has a
>corresponding graphic a window will pop up with the special graphic.
>
>This patch is preliminary in a few ways:
>
>1. Probably the graphic filenames should be defined in the
>buildings.ruleset, or at least the path where the graphics live should
>be specified in a .spec somewhere.  Advice about what/where?
>(Currently the filenames are just numbers
>and the directory is hardcoded to misc/build.)
>
>2. More graphics are needed.  I've found 11 that are clearly free.
>I've got about 11 more that I need to get permission to use.
>
>3. I didn't look at any backends other than gtk.
>
>4. Other things?
>
>Please let me know if its patch is OK.  I think it can be committed in
>its current form (there are no serious bugs), but I expect I'll need
>to add to it wrt the above points.

I never heard from anyone about these questions.
Is there any interest in my patch to add graphics for when wonders are
created?  I'm happy to finish it off (add code for it in
buildings.ruleset), but there's not much point if no one's interested.

The final version of the patch is at
<http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/PUBLIC/build_graphics.diff>
with a basic set of graphics at
<http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/PUBLIC/build.tar.gz>.
I have graphics from the web for most of the wonders, but it will be
work finding out which of them are freely available, so I'll do that
after I know the code's useful.

   -John Heidemann