Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names

Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:16:35 +0200

Falk Hueffner wrote:
> I've added a few comments, and added a "const" to the return value. Also
> fixed some bugs and a memory hole.

Great thanks!

> (Did I mention string handling in C sucks?)

Yes you did and I believe you!

I will now try to rate your results on an integer scale [0, 10]
(anything below 8 is commented):
Solleå 10
Helsterhamn 10
Kalmgård 8
Holm 4 (sounds like just 1 part of a city name)
Luleholmstad 5 (sounds like 3 parts of a city name, too much)
Trolmgård 7 ("Trollgård" would be better)
Gävlentuna 8
Malmsterhamn 9
Kalmö 10
Söderås 10 (This happens to be the name of a village in the area of
Sweden where I come from.)
Sundsvala 7 (Becomes "Gesundschwalbe" when translated to German :-)
Kalmö (duplicate)
Lulefterås 2 (Not very realistic. Sounds more like the name of some
chemical :-)
Morg 1 (uh?)
Göteå 10
Tro 3 (The Swedis word for "believe".)
Karlsingborg 3(Sounds funny. Somehow leads thoughts to underwear.)
Piteborg 10

> Mallhättad Holmstanstad Kallhättad 2
These sound like adjectives (end with "ad" similar to english "ed"). The
last sounds somewhat like "Coldheated".

Vibora 6 (Just doesn't sound much like a city name.)
Hala 6 (Common Swedish word both adjective and verb.)
Morg (duplicate)
Halund 10

The names often get quite funny. But the result is impressing
considering that the algorithm operates on data that has not been
tailored for it.

> Try it yourself...

With great pleasure...