Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names

To: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names
From: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Sep 2000 02:10:57 +0200

Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Could you please describe the principles of this algorithm in natural
> language? Write in German if it is easier for you. It would still be
> easier for me to understand than uncommented C-code.

Hm, I thought the code was pretty straight-forward. I've added a few
comments, and added a "const" to the return value. Also fixed some
bugs and a memory hole. (Did I mention string handling in C sucks?)
Please tell me if it is more understandable now.

> Or do you think that the Transport Tycoon approach I described
> yesterday will be more successfull?

Depends on what you want. Your method leads to "more realistic"
results, but requires more work and doesn't work for all languages (I
guess). For Swedish, I get:

Solleå Helsterhamn Kalmgård Holm Luleholmstad Trolmgård Gävlentuna
Malmsterhamn Kalmö Söderås Sundsvala Kalmö Lulefterås Morg Göteå Tro
Karlsingborg Piteborg Mallhättad Holmstanstad Kallhättad Vibora Hala
Morg Halund ...

Try it yourself...

        Falk