Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved grammatic handling of nation names.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved grammatic handling of nation names.
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 17:23:00 +0200

Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> At 2000/08/21 10:05 , you wrote:
> >This patch (2000-08-21) improves the grammatic handling of nation names.
>
> This look like a great improvement.  The patch is now out of date, so I
> couldn't really test it.  Just reading the patch, however, brought a couple
> of issues to mind.

Here is an updated patch. It should apply, compile and run.

> First, there needs to be a capability defined and used to allow old and new
> clients and servers to talk to each other.

I haven't done anything about this yet (I have never looked at the
capability string code).

> Second, I'm quite concerned about the ramifications of redefining
> MAX_LEN_NAME from 32 to 128.  I think the best way would be to leave
> MAX_LEN_NAME as is, and change the nation ruleset reader to use a large
> buffer, then immediately apply Q_() to get the name, and apply a new macro,
> S_(), which would simply strip the qualifier, to get the original name.
> This would require changing several references to name into references to
> name_orig.  (This all in terms of existing code, not in terms of new code.)

I have now changed this to 96. It can probably be lowered somewhat more,
but since you have a general solution (which I'm unfortunately not able
to implement) I didn't try to calculate the lowest possible value.

> Also, just a code cleanliness comment, we like to try to limit lines to 80
> or 90 characters.

I have shortened as many of the lines as I could.

I know that this patch does not solve every grammatic problem for every
language. I just hope it helps a little and doesn't make things worse. I
know that German needs accustativ, but I choose to add a small set of
cases. (If this patch is committed (with modifications of course, see
above) and it is possible to add accustativ I (or someone else) will do
it.) I was afraid of getting problems with different languages using
different cases in the same place.

I would like someone to make a more general solution, but I think that
is going to take a long time. Until then we could use this.

> jjm

Erik