Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved grammatic handling of nation names.

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improved grammatic handling of nation names.
From: Gerhard Killesreiter <killes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 16:39:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> Do you have a suggestion for how a more general approach would work?

umm, I am by no means a coder. However, I did post the following
suggestion some time ago. I did not get any response, so probably it is
silly, but I would like to know why :)

   I propose the inclusion of additional fields in the
   <nation>.rulesets files, i.e. making the nation's name an array to
   be filled with the cases in singular und plural.
   Do the C-stringhandling functions accept arrays of strings?
   Apparently not. Is it possible to write some modified printf?

The printing of a string would then look like

The %a[i,j] did something to the %a[k,l].

Where the indices i,j,k,l could be freely chosen by the translator.

This leaves open the cases of improvements (not so neccessary, IMHO) and
units (neccessary IMO).

Cheers,
        Gerhard