[Freeciv-Dev] more complex unit and battle system II.

To: "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] more complex unit and battle system II.
From: peter jurcovic <hhg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:54:21 +0200

hi,

so, I have spent some time playing freeciv yesterday, and I have to
admit, that the majority of my original thoughts would really make game
quite overcomplicated and would bring only small good.

The reason is most probably in the fact, that if you want to profit from

well trained, experience army, your army  have to survive a great number

of battles. Today in freeciv, one unit is always destroyed in a battle
and the possibility of retreating would not change things a lot. In
Panzer General, your unit can survive 2-4 attacks *without replacement*
and naturelly much more attack with continual replacing. If we would
like to introduce this system to freeciv, we would very soon have to
cope with enormous number of army walking on the battlefields. The
problem would be caused also by the fact, that you can get new units
quite rarely in PG, but in freeciv, your towns can build 10-20 new units

in one turn without problem (in later, developed stages of the game). So

I'm affraid, that the "quantity rules" would be here quite better ;(