[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: Language fixes

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: Language fixes
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:35:32 +0200

Dirk Stoecker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the A/An-routine (n_if_vowel) is not very clever according to the comment
> and also impossible and disturbing for translation. Here is a fix to that
> problem.
>
> - The function is removed totally.
> - The strings has been changed to remove the need for the function.

I as a translator I really wellcome this initiative. I've been hoping
for it to happen since I started my Swedish translation over a month
ago. This kind of one-langue-only stuff shouldn't be in the main source.
I hope the patch is checked in soon.

> The strings may no longer sound 100% perfect but they aren't anyway. I
> removed A/An from some strings without other changes if it the result
> sounds well. I cases where impossible I changed the strings to sound better.
> I think it should be better localizable without affecting the english
> language much. It should remove the need to skip arguments in result
> strings (which is not very good, because the argument size is unknown then
> and the sprintf function may get in trouble).

This skipping of arguments bothered me all the way through the
translation process. It is ugly and makes the po-mode verifier complain
about every single instance of it. So I couldn't use the verifier to
verify my translation like I'm supposed to.

> I included gzip and plain version of patch to check it.
>
> Additionally made some optimizations to code (removed useless variables,
> assignments). I triple checked them, so they are ok (also the compiler
> thinks so :-)

I also appreciate your work to remove the spaces form the option labels.
You seem to care a lot about translation quality. Have you looked at my
previous patch