[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: Language fixes (continued)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: Language fixes (continued)
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:42:24 +0200

Erik Sigra wrote:

> Dirk Stoecker wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > the A/An-routine (n_if_vowel) is not very clever according to the comment
> > and also impossible and disturbing for translation. Here is a fix to that
> > problem.
> >
> > - The function is removed totally.
> > - The strings has been changed to remove the need for the function.
>
> I as a translator I really wellcome this initiative. I've been hoping
> for it to happen since I started my Swedish translation over a month
> ago. This kind of one-langue-only stuff shouldn't be in the main source.
> I hope the patch is checked in soon.
>
> > The strings may no longer sound 100% perfect but they aren't anyway. I
> > removed A/An from some strings without other changes if it the result
> > sounds well. I cases where impossible I changed the strings to sound better.
> > I think it should be better localizable without affecting the english
> > language much. It should remove the need to skip arguments in result
> > strings (which is not very good, because the argument size is unknown then
> > and the sprintf function may get in trouble).
>
> This skipping of arguments bothered me all the way through the
> translation process. It is ugly and makes the po-mode verifier complain
> about every single instance of it. So I couldn't use the verifier to
> verify my translation like I'm supposed to.
>
> > I included gzip and plain version of patch to check it.
> >
> > Additionally made some optimizations to code (removed useless variables,
> > assignments). I triple checked them, so they are ok (also the compiler
> > thinks so :-)
>
> I also appreciate your work to remove the spaces form the option labels.
> You seem to care a lot about translation quality. Have you looked at my
> previous patch

[Sorry, accidentally sent the mail before it was complete. Continued]

... nation nation_name_i18n_improvement-2? I'm sure you have some
suggestions for improvements or even a completely different approach.
For example what would be needed for good German language handling?

Keep up the good work and the tranlsations will soon start to look good.

Thanks,
Erik Sigra