[Freeciv-Dev] Re: River sailing: patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: River sailing: patch
From: Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:53:31 +0200 (MET DST)

> > Sailing through mountain disabled (though opinions vary)
>
> I will register my vote that it should be allowed; if the river wasn't big
> enough for it it shouldn't be on the map! Besides, it is simpler if it is
> allowed.

That will be changed.

> > a terrain.ruleset field is added to control the extra cost of
> > sailing on rivers, as a default set to 1/3 (so sailing on rivers
> > costs 1 and 1/3 movement point). This makes Trireme to be able
> > to make 2 moves on river, while 3 on the sea.
>
> It would be more flexible to just list the total move cost of moving on a
> river
> in this field.

Hmm, that would allow units sail on rivers faster that on seas...
well, why not?

> (but I haven't really looked at the code yet)

And you better not :-) Well, I have to admit that the code in my last
patch was hopeless when it comes to goto and has been changed a lot
during the weekend. I hoped I could do it quickly without trying to
understand this much... and I had to understand it first.
I am still sitting on autoexplore and when I have it I will send a new
patch that will be hopefully more mature.

/Jerzy