[Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex unit and battle system

To: "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex unit and battle system
From: ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:38:56 -0700

In <39A98C3C.A35B07B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 08/27/00
   at 11:46 PM, peter jurcovic <hhg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

:I don't know how many of you have played "Panzer General" (PG) or "Allied
:General" (AG) or other game from this serie, because my point is (in
:fact) to implement their really sofisticated (and cool) battle system to
:freeciv.

I have not played either of these games, but I do remember playing the
Avalon-Hill board games in about 1965, and until your post, had never even
heard of a computer game whose battle system was even close to what
Avalon-Hill had 35 years ago. Thus, I support your effort to introduce
such features into Freeciv.

Among the features which I liked best was that, not only were there were
about six different battle results (e.g. attacker forces defender to
retreat one square and moves forward into vacated space), but also that
when units were stacked, the attacking player (as in a real battle) could
identify which of the attacking forces were to attack which of the
defending forces.

Best,
        -- Chuck Crayne
ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxxx