[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Units take-over (capturing)

To: Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Units take-over (capturing)
From: ZENIT News Agency <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:10:33 +0200

Jerzy Klek wrote:

> OK, this is my thought: Currently you can only attack units
> while there are non-military units which it seems one should
> be able to 'take prison' or rather take-over, for example
> caravans. It seems logical that you capture the camels and so on
> and you can use them as you wish. My proposal: to make possible
> to take over such units: if they are left alone undefended
> on a tile, moving over does make make them be killed but they
> change the ownership. It would be controlled by a unit flag in
> the ruleset file so it shouldn't hurt anyone who doesn't like it.

Ideally, such an attack would give the attacker a small gold bonus (for
stealing the spices, et al.) and a camel chassis (if chasses are not
implemented, perhaps a few production points). However, according to the
internal logic of the game, camels and drivers grow on trees -- all the
production actually goes into the contents of the caravan: 50 shields
invested in a caravan in Naples adds 50 shields to the production of
Hoover Dam in Rome. Maybe there should be some loss involved here as
well...

The caravan should have some possibility of resisting the takeover
(defense value of 1?) and some possibility of being completely destroyed
by the attacker, yielding only some damaged trade goods and dead
camels...

Mark