[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomats can't enter allied cities. (PR#486)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomats can't enter allied cities. (PR#486)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:22:05 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, David Pfitzner wrote:
>
> > The idea of the second patch it that because diplomats can enter
> > allied cities, you can make them work like caravans in that case: the
> > server lets them move in, and then the client notices that it should
> > popup a dialog _after_ the unit has moved in.

> >  Some differences
> > remain: if you don't do the action ("Cancel" - no extra "Continue
> > Movement" button required in this case), the diplomat ends up inside
> > the city, not just outside.  Also a spy can repeatedly investigate a
> > city as many times as it likes when it has zero movement left, without
> > losing any more movement.  These don't seem too unreasonable to me,
> > but could be seen as anomalous.
>
>  There is one more difference, I think. Diplomats can currently do
> diplomatic actions when they are adjacent to city and have _some_ movement
> left. With this patch they require enought movement to actually enter
> city.

True.  I'm thinking in this case its probably better to keep the
user interface consistent where possible, even if code is a bit
more complicated.

The attached patch is based on the first method, with some minor
cleanups for better consistency (eg, with caravan dialogs), and
less hackishness in the server code: added an extra parameter to
handle_unit_move_request().

(This doesn't include previous menu_diplo_actions.diff, though
that is not strictly required for this to be useful.)

-- David