[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: remove of obsolete spaces from options.c (2)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: remove of obsolete spaces from options.c (2)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:15:20 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 Dirk Stoecker <stoecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> here a patch to remove the need for spaces for option dialogs in
> XAW client (client/optiondlg.c and client/messagedlg.c).
>
> Also included the patch to remove the spaces from client/options.c.

Previously also wrote:

: I do not like this solution much, as it uses an array and like the
: old way relies on non-proportional fonts. Maybe someone more familiar
: with XAW will make a better solution (also for optiondlg.c).

Well, the requirement for fixed-width fonts is no worse than
we have now, and this allows removing the spaces, so this
seems ok to me.

> There should be no more problems with it.

Well, the optiondlg.c doesn't compile because 'ol' was declared
wrong, but easily fixed.  (Even if they don't look like it, Widgets
are really pointers already.)

Also I'm actually rather surprised that your messagedlg.c patch
works - I thought you should need two long_label widgets, one
for each column.  Is it supposed to work having a fromHoriz
in another form??  In case this is not a stable feature, the
attached patch calculates longest label in each column (this
could also save some horizontal space in some cases).

Also made the columns "headings" line up automatically without
requiring explicit leading spaces (though this got a bit messy).
Also couldn't resist renaming some variables (also in optiondlg.c)
and adjusting some comments and other such changes.

> Only the translation files need to be updated.

(Still todo, and this attached patch doesn't include Spaces.diff.)

-- David