[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: remove of obsolete spaces from options.c

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: remove of obsolete spaces from options.c
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 00:08:59 +1000 (EST)

Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dirk Stoecker wrote:
> >
> > this patch removes obsolete spaces at string end from client/options.c.
> >
> > Why?
> > - The clients do not need them, as their alignment does not rely on equal
> >   string length.
> > - It does not work correctly yet, as most of the translations do not
> >   handle it correctly.
> > - It is ugly and disturbing and wastes space.

(BTW, can people please trim quoted text in replies!)

> The spaces are actually still needed for the xaw client.

Yes, actually they are left-over from when the Xaw client was the
only client!  The Xaw client _does_ use the spaces (and mono-spaced
characters) for alignment.

> We must keep the spaces until we ditch xaw
> (which would help the translators (maybe even coders) a lot).

No, we should fix the Xaw client to count the lengths and add
the spaces itself, at runtime.

-- David