[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: remove of obsolete spaces from options.c

To: Dirk Stoecker <stoecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: remove of obsolete spaces from options.c
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:56:33 +0200

Dirk Stoecker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this patch removes obsolete spaces at string end from client/options.c.
>
> Why?
> - The clients do not need them, as their alignment does not rely on equal
>   string length.
> - It does not work correctly yet, as most of the translations do not
>   handle it correctly.
> - It is ugly and disturbing and wastes space.
>
> The german translator also would like to get them disappear, so I made the
> patch.
>
> 2 Patch-files:
>  - first the patch for source-code file client/options.c
>  - second a patch for first 4 po-files (de.po, en_GB.po, es.po, fr.po)
>
> I will add the missing po-patches if the patch gets accepted (No need to
> do that much work if somebody throws it away for any reason).
>
> I tested it with GTK and MUI client. According to german translator there
> should be no problems with XAW client as well. Don't think other clients will
> have problems, as this would have been detected by incorrect translations
> sometime before.
>
> Example of changes:
> -  GEN_OPTION(auto_center_on_unit,      N_("Auto Center on Units       "),
> COT_BOOL),
> -  GEN_OPTION(auto_center_on_combat,    N_("Auto Center on Combat      "),
> COT_BOOL),
> -  GEN_OPTION(wakeup_focus,             N_("Focus on Awakened Units    "),
> COT_BOOL),
> +  GEN_OPTION(auto_center_on_unit,      N_("Auto Center on Units"), COT_BOOL),
> +  GEN_OPTION(auto_center_on_combat,    N_("Auto Center on Combat"),
> COT_BOOL),
> +  GEN_OPTION(wakeup_focus,             N_("Focus on Awakened Units"),
> COT_BOOL),
>
> and
>
> -  N_("Low Funds                "),     /* E_LOW_ON_FUNDS */
> -  N_("Pollution                "),
> -  N_("Global Eco-Disaster      "),     /* E_GLOBAL_ECO */
> +  N_("Low Funds"),                   /* E_LOW_ON_FUNDS */
> +  N_("Pollution"),                   /* E_POLLUTION */
> +  N_("Global Eco-Disaster"),         /* E_GLOBAL_ECO */
>
> Well I also added the missing E_xxx comments.
>
> Ciao
>  ____  _ _  ____  _ _    _ _  ____
> |    |  |  |    |  | \  / |  |    | the cool Gremlin from Bischofswerda
> |  __   |   ____|  |  \/  |  |    | WWW: http://home.pages.de/~stoecker/
> |    |  |  |       |      |  |    | PGP key available on www page.
> |____| _|_ |____| _|_    _|_ |____| I hope AMIGA never ends to make fun!

> * snail-mail: Dirk Stoecker              * e-mail:                     *
> *             Geschwister-Scholl-Str. 10 * stoecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx     *
> *             01877 Bischofswerda        * phone:                      *
> *             GERMANY                    * GERMANY +49 (0)3594/706666  *

>                  Name: po.diff.gz
>    po.diff.gz    Type: unspecified type (APPLICATION/octet-stream)
> [...]

Hi,

The spaces are actually still needed for the xaw client. I just made a
screenshot that shows it. We must keep the spaces until we ditch xaw
(which would help the translators (maybe even coders) a lot).

When I translated to Swedish I also tried to add more keyboard commands
to the gtk client, but they appeared as uglu underlines with no meaning
in the xaw client (somebody please add keyboard commands for all menu
items in the gtk client, it would solve this problem).

Not that I am using the xaw client, but I test it sometimes to see if my
Swedish translation is working. I then noticed that when I close the
options window with the X button in the upper-right corner (KDE), the
whole client terminates. This seems terribly disturbing for someone who
would actually play with that client.

The gtk client handles this better but not perfect. It refusest to close
the window and shows the following message:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1395 (gtk_widget_destroy):
assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed.

At least it doesn't quit the whole game. The thing any client should do
is acting like the user clicked on the cancel button.

Erik Sigra

PNG image