[Freeciv-Dev] Re: BUILT_SOURCES (PR#501)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: BUILT_SOURCES (PR#501)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:39:50 +1000 (EST)

On 09 Aug 2000 gs234@xxxxxxxxx (Gaute (B) Strokkenes) wrote:

> David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 gs234@xxxxxxxxx (Gaute (B) Strokkenes) wrote:
> >
> > > packets_lsend.c and packets_lsend.h in common/ should probably be
> > > mentioned in BUILT_SOURCES in Makefile.am.
> >
> > I don't think so, because they are not built by make, they
> > are only generated manually be developers.
> >
> > That is, I assume BUILT_SOURCES is so that automake can give
> > them special treatment, but we don't want any such treatment
> > - automake should treat them just like "normal" sources?
>
> Well, from my reading of the sources I thought that these files had to
> be rebuilt whenever packets.c is changed.

Yes - manually.  Well, whenever you add a new send_packet_* function,
which is not that often.

>  I thought that this was
> probably just an oversight.  Adding them to BUILT_SOURCES would ensure
> that this happens automagically whenever packets.c is changed.

I have trouble believing this - unless you also give automake some
hints on how to build them!  Eg, how and when to run create_lsend.pl,
and how to know if the user has perl, etc.  That is, changing more
than just BUILT_SOURCES.  No doubt one _could_ do all this, but I
didn't consider it worth the work in this case.

-- David