[Freeciv-Dev] Re: About Fascism and compromises

To: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, udgenzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: About Fascism and compromises
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:38:59 -0500

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 11:33:55PM -0400, Reed Meyer wrote:
> >As for Blitzkrieg - why not make it a wonder that expires with (for
> >instance) appearance of nuclear warfare or stuff like that.
>
> No.  It would expire too quickly.  Besides, the real "Blitzkrieg" (I'm not
> talking strictly about how the Germans practiced it in WW2) is still a
> principle used today.  C.f. "Persian Gulf War, 1991".
>      The only plausible suggestion I have heard so far regarding "how to
> fix Blitzkrieg" (not that I feel it needs fixing) is to make it a regular
> building rather than a Wonder, like an advanced Barracks that sits in each
> city (kind of like Mfg. Plant sits in each city along with a Factory).
> Then, "Blitzkrieg" (the building) would confer its effect on each unit
> which comes out of that city.  But this means more changes to the source
> code, and keeping some kind of "tag" along with each unit in addition to
> veteran/non-veteran status.

        The point is that Blitzkrieg isn't needed.
        Tactics (Alpine Troops), Labor Union (Mechanized Infantry),
and Robotics (Howitzers) provide units which will roll over lesser units
in exactly the manner displayed in the Blitzkreig.

        Giving these units even more of a movement/attack advantage is
a very bizarre concept.  Anybody who has ever witnessed a Howitzer Flood
knows that it's simply unnecessary.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."