[Freeciv-Dev] Re: About Fascism and compromises

To: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: About Fascism and compromises
From: Robert Brady <robert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 12:32:24 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Reed Meyer wrote:

> Nazi Germany and modern Germany are separated by 55 years of history.  So?
> The number of years between the two time eras means nothing.  Should we
> forget the slaughtering perpetrated by Genghis Khan because it happened in
> the Middle Ages?  "Oh, that was such a long time ago.  No one's around
> who was alive back then."

No, the problem is that the current German nation will also represent
pre-1933 Germany. That, to my mind, is flipping stupid.

> The Soviet Union flag is still in there.  Half the protests stemmed from
> posting the Nazi Germany national flag.

Shall I tell you why its there?

  1. It was originally used as flag for "Russians"
  2. Someone noticed this was really dumb, added the other flag
     and changed the nation to use it.
  3. However, the old flag was kept for compatability with old servers.
  4. The next time the protocol broke, no-one remembered to remove
     the soviet flag.

--
Robert