[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] Startup readline segfault (PR#491)

To: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] Startup readline segfault (PR#491)
From: gs234@xxxxxxxxx (Gaute (B) Strokkenes)
Date: 08 Aug 2000 15:43:13 +0200

Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> That's antithetical to how autoconf works.  The idea behind autoconf
> isn't to depend on "known behavior" of vendor version numbers,
[snip]

I know all this.  The point is that the breakage reported was due to a
bad dependency in a -dev package in a specific version of Debian,
which led to a combination of includes/libraries/whathaveyougot that
didn't play well.  In general, this sort of breakage is not something
that configure scripts is able to deal with, for instance I think that
configure would not be able to deal with conflicting libc and libc-dev
installations, nor would anyone sane expect it to.

In short, this is a very specific problem of a very uncommon nature on
a very specific platform.

--
Big Gaute (not to be confused with LG)
It was a JOKE!!  Get it??  I was receiving messages