[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-data] New Nazi cityset attached [W ARNING CHI

To: Patrick Schmid <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-data] New Nazi cityset attached [W ARNING CHILDREN - THINK TWICE BEFORE OPENING]
From: Dmitriy Genzel <udgenzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 19:54:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Patrick Schmid wrote:

> I can only add one thing to what my fellow countryman stated:
> I really hope, that this project will come around and no nazism is being
> added.
>
> Perhaps I'm gonna play freeciv again in the future, but for now, I'll stop
> using it and contributing anything to it.

Someone asked what the difference is between having communism and
fascism/nazism.
Apparently here's the difference: there are apparently far more people
offended by the second, than there are by the first. That's just a
practical consideration. I think that overall adding the Fascism patch
will hurt Freeciv more than it would benefit it: both in terms of
development and number of users.

Anyway, I don't want to get into a political discussion, but here's why I
personally think there is a difference. Communism (if ideally implemented,
and actually working) would involve a society w/o private property, but at
such a level where everyone is provided plenty of everything. I am sure
everyone reading this would not vehemently object living in such a
society. It might be limitng on your self-expression, but at least not
on the physical level. (I do think it's impossible IRL, but that's beside
the point).
Now, Fascism (if ideally implemented, again) would involve a group of
"Higher Race" people living off the backs of the "Lower Race" people.
Which is not my ideal by any means (besides the fact that of course I
would be one of the "lower race") even I were of the "Higher" race.

Dmitriy