[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Different Texan Ruleset'

To: Jake Kesinger <kesinger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Different Texan Ruleset'
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 17:16:02 -0500

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 04:22:23PM -0500, Jake Kesinger wrote:
> > Don't bother.  The CSA would only be shot down by the Americans on this
> > mailing list who find it offensive.
>
> I'd like to get some opinions from the rest of the Americans on this list
> (and everybody, for that matter).
>
> I suspect the main thing people would find offensive is slavery, but
> that's one of those relative atrocities things again. (And how many
> of the nations currently *never* had slavery?)

        As long as it's not a game concept, it shouldn't be too much of an
issue.  Call To Power does include it, though.

> If you're referring to the fact that the CSA was once, and is again,
> part of the USA, then Texas has the same problem (formerly Mexico, now
> USA).

        Short lifetime is an issue in considering whether a nation should
be added.  Ideally, nations should have had an extended historical impact.
They're certainly no Roman Empire.
        Whether the Civil Rights movement of the 60's should be considered
an extension of the CSA's historical impact or not is also debatable.

> Personally, I'm an American of Northern persuasion (born&raised in
> Washington state), and don't find the CSA offensive.

        I've lived my entire life in Illinois and also do not find the
CSA personally offensive.  Appropriate to Freeciv is a different question.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."