[Freeciv-Dev] Unit gold upkeep

To: Freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Unit gold upkeep
From: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:19:50 +0300 (EET DST)

 Is someone working with implementation for unit gold upkeep? If not, I
may try to fix my old patch for this. I abandoned it at the time, because
I feel it is a bit overkill solution to small problem.

 Current implementation:

 If player runs out of money when server handles unit upkeep, don't pay
for that unit. If player runs out of money when server handles building
upkeep, things depend on units.ruleset option handle_gold_short:
 - "Current"   - Sell building.
 - "Unit"      - Disband some unit requiring gold upkeep if by this way we
                 save enought money for keeping building. Unit must be
                 upkept by this city. If such unit is not found, sell
                 building.
 - "All units" - Like "Unit", but if no propoer unit is upkept by this
                 city, check also all other units owned by this player.

 If unit is not paid:
 - There's a chance it turns into barbarian, controlled by
   barbarian_change (cumulative each turn unit is not paid) and
   barbarian_safe_turns (turns before checks against barbarian_change
   begins) options.
 - Until turn count without payment reach value set by accpet_turns
   option, everything works normally.
 - After accept_turns, but before accept_turns + wait_turns is reached,
   unit refuses to do anything (moves_left=0) and its defense value is
   zero.
 - After accept_turns + wait_turns is reached, unit is disbanded.

btw. Fields that appear at rulesets, but actually do nothing yet,
really should be mentioned somewhere (at least I can't find such
documentation anywhere). We can't expect everybody who wants
to modify his/her rulesets to check from source code if things are
implementet or not.

 Caz