[Freeciv-Dev] Re: balancing governents

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: balancing governents
From: "Marc Strous" <marc_strous@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:38:18 CEST

> And on governments: Is the Republic really that much more powerful than
> Monarchy?

Yes!!!  (I don't really know about Democracy/Communism.)  Civ I and II
put a serious penalty on Republic and beyond: in those governments you
could hardly fight any wars, because your senate would close a peace
behind your back, or an unfriendly action would throw yopu into anarchy.
This is arriving in Freeciv but it isn't quite there yet.

And I think this may be enough of a check on the power of Republic.
It is always possible to experiment with different government rulesets
of course.

perhaps some governments should be "better" than others - but for the strategy flavour of the game it is more important that different governments serve different purposes - for the benefit of science, production, growth, war etc. you choose your government not simply because you have discovered democracy but because you lag beyond in technology terms and have to catch up etc.

marc