[Freeciv-Dev] Re: How to build a scenario editor?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: How to build a scenario editor?
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:29:33 -0400

At 2000/07/30 11:05 , Thue wrote:
>As I have mentioned I have done some work on a scenario editor; i it's
>current state it is only a map editor though (but it works, though you
>will need a patched server to use the maps).
>It is simply a gtk client with the network stuff and some dialogs removed.
>As you will see if you tried it I borrowed some code from the
>previous map editor civworld (which can only be build against 1.8.1)

I thought that a "cheat mode" in the existing clients would be the best
way.  You get two things for the price of one -- a "cheat mode" and a
"world editor".  And, I think it would be easer than trying to build
everything from scratch.

>To compile my scenario editor links against
>../client/tilespec.o ../client/cityrepdata.o ../client/helpdata.o
>../client/climisc.o \ ../server/ruleset.o ../server/savegame.o
>../server/meta.o \ ../client/gui-gtk/helpdlg.o
>Is that an acceptable way of doing things? Should I migrate what I can
>to /common (would require some kludges) and cutNpaste the rest over in the
>scenario editor?

Actually, we've talked about reorganizing things before.  I have an ancient
patch that changes the server build into one that builds a library which
includes most of the core server code, and really only a main() in the
"program" module.  This could be useful for many different add-ons.  I
think this will ultimately be the way to go -- so I'll try to find that old
patch and dust it off...

jjm