[Freeciv-Dev] Sound

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Sound
From: Samuel Weston <samweston@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:52:29 -0700 (PDT)

I'm just returning to the mailing list and haven't
been able to keep up with the current state of sound
support in FreeCiv.  I'm interested in doing some
sound programming but don't know what's been done yet.

Here are some of my current ideas (in order of
priority):

  1) Write and integrate into FreeCiv a .wav player
for background music, sound effects, etc.  Is there
something out there already that could be adapted?
Should I use the OSS API? (I have a little wav player
written using the OSS API, but I need to working on
the timing sinc. It plays a 5 minut song in under 2
minutes!! )

  2) Write a VERY simple mixer to play sound effects
over a background sound track, i.e. dim the soundtrack
when playing special effects sounds.

  3) Write support for other sound formats (au, etc.)

  4) Support a play list feature for background music.

  5) Ear Candy: Write a mp3 player module so you can
listen to your favorite songs while playing FreeCiv :)

Anyway, please let me know if I'm just duplicating
others efforts.

My sister is currently in doctoral school in music.
She's willing to write some short sound tracks for the
project.  If anyone has ideas about what to ask her to
work on, tell me now!  Some of the things I thought of
were a good fanfare, a short theme song, etc.

I don't want to clutter up the list, so if this is old
stuff, please send all replies directly to me.

Samuel Weston
SamWeston@xxxxxxxxx