[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound
From: Tommi Vainikainen <thv@xxxxxx>
Date: 27 Jul 2000 23:51:36 +0300

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, samweston@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm just returning to the mailing list and haven't
> been able to keep up with the current state of ...

There are mailing list archives, with search engine ...

<URL:http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200007/msg00356.html> is what
I found from earlier this month.

>   1) Write and integrate into FreeCiv a .wav player
> for background music, sound effects, etc.  Is there
> something out there already that could be adapted?
> Should I use the OSS API?

We definately need supports for different APIs for Freeciv, maybe it
would be good to design sound support with at least two different APIs
in mind. (OSS is quite Linux (+ *BSD) specific, I think there are people
playing Freeciv in example under SGI workstations.)

>   3) Write support for other sound formats (au, etc.)
>   4) Support a play list feature for background music.
>   5) Ear Candy: Write a mp3 player module so you can
> listen to your favorite songs while playing FreeCiv :)

IMHO it would be more useful if people could use their favourite
<insert your favorite music format here> player for playing background
music.

I think it would be useful to first desing set of functions, which
FreeCiv client would call in every time some 'event' happens and then
write dummy functions for those, so that needed hooks for sound
support could be already in place when rest of the code is working.
Something like:

void notify_event (event_type event_name);

and then in some place inside client code
notify_event (WONDER_READY);

and notify_event function would take care of everything, reading wav
name from dataset and playing such sound in background, and so on.

--
Tommi Vainikainen