[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Help with Readline

To: "Wong TM (Huang Deming)" <lookmeow@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Help with Readline
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:19:26 +0200

Den lør, 22 jul 2000 skrev Wong TM (Huang Deming):

> Thank for the patch. After applying your patch.
> Well error with rl_callback_hanlder_install in-lreadline....no
>
> attach is the configure.log

Sorry, I was inprecise. The patch removed the check for readline when
configured as default (maybe), not with "./configure --with-readline=yes",
as it looks like you did (As I said, I removed the check, so it shouldn't
fail.)

btw, I think I can see from the output that the problem indeed is that
linking with your readline 4.1 requires linking with -ltermcap as well at
the same time.

Now, assuming the above is correct, how do we get around it? The problem
is not in readline 2.x as far as we know, and in some 4,1's. It is in the
4.1's with mandrake 7.1 (me) and suse, but dwp had no problem with his
debian 4.1 readline. I have one compiled from source, and it has the
problem too. The reason I know you have to link with termcap is that I
asked :). The answer was

>> and building it
>>
>> -------------
>> gcc -c ctest.c
>> gcc -o ctest ctest.o -lreadline
>> -------------
>>
>> I get the errors
>
>You need to link with the termcap library (or curses, or ncurses, or
>wherever the termcap functions are defined) as well.

Now, how do we
1) make configure link with another lib while checking for readline. (that
is the current problem)
2) Determine which lib we should link against?

standard disclaimer: I am a newbie in this area and do not know what I am
talking about.

-Thue