[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea - the world is round

To: lookmeow@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "Martin Christensen" <factotum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea - the world is round
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 20:44:45 +0200

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 11:46:41PM +0800, Wong TM (Huang Deming) wrote:
> I was wondering what kind of algorithms should I use to divide a sphere into
> equal area and what kind of coordinate system to map the sphere (including
> the warp at the end of world).

I don't think it can be done, not in a way that allows arbitrary sizes.
But it's relatively easy to generate (irregular) tiles on a sphere
and use ordinary projection to 2D:

   http://www.freeciv.org/~hop/ideas/mapgen/gridless-freeciv

> But if somehow Freeciv manage to use openGL and represent the civ-world
> texture-map onto a sphere, it will be quite a eye-candy. And smallkids will
> say Freeciv is cool ;-).

Work on OpenGL Freeciv has been done, see

  http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200001/msg00435.html
  http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200004/msg00159.html

--
Reinier Post                                             rp@xxxxxxxxxx