[Freeciv-Dev] Re: historical background on nations/leaders

To: Piotr Sulecki <Piotr.Sulecki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: historical background on nations/leaders
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:44:16 +0200

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 09:55:22AM +0200, Piotr Sulecki wrote:
> Zhenzhong Jing wrote:
> >
> > Well, I guess there is no point for me to learn anything about the history
> > of Poland then...

If you want to learn only truth, try social or economical history,
and stay far away from everything that has anything to do with politics.

> >> Please, no.
> >> National histories are all lies, damn lies and propaganda. :-(
>
> Well, there were some times in the history of Poland when the ruler
> (be it an aggressor or just a traitor) tried to make the whole nation
> to forget about some historical facts. These facts were removed
> from history books, never mentioned in encyclopedias, never mentioned
> in media... You could get arrested if you were teaching the real
> history. The three periods of time when it occured was at 1795-1918
> when Poland was divided between Russia, Prussia (later Germany)
> and Austria, then the World War II under Soviet/German occupation,
> and then 1948-1989 under Soviet-strenghtened communist regime.
>
> So don't be so harsh to Tomasz, he has his reasons to say it.
>
> Peter Sulecki (Polish, too).
>
> PS. BTW, Polish history is really interesting.

Polish history is more factual than before, but there are still many lies.
I can well remember that in a last few years many lies was taken away
from history school-books.
But many are still there. Some were introduced in XVIII century.

Examples (in historical order) :

- ``Polish'' outpost in about 500 BC (Biskupin)
- Pomorze to be natively Polish land
- Early Piasts to be driven by need to ``unite'' the nation
- Legnica Battle to save Europe from Mongol's danger
- All anti-magnat, pro-king propaganda
- All 3rd May Constitution propaganda (one of biggest fake)
- November Uprise to fall because of its leaders
- November Uprise to save Belgian Uprise from Russian intervention
- Time between wars to be time of prosperity
      (in reality : GNP 1938 was less than GNP 1913)
- Polish mathematicians to ``break'' Enigma.

And of course there was no UPA, AL was of similar size to AK,
Battle of England was won mostly because of Polish pilots,
and hemp was never grown in Polish teritory.

Not to mention Lower Silesia (me lives here) as natively Polish teritory.
Ever meet autochton ?
Ever meet someone who meet autochton ?
(recurse as far as you want)