[Freeciv-Dev] Re: German sovereigners

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: German sovereigners
From: "Sam BC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:30:03 +0100

<SNIP ALL THE REASONS (you all read them anyway, right?)>

I agree. I, personally, hate Hitler. But I also hate the comparable
behaviour of all the other 'orrible dictators in history. Do we leave out
some of the most famous rulers of history because they were all evil
murdering bastards? No. We don't. And we don't because in certain ways we
want FreeCiv to be accurate. And a very large proportion of the 'great'
rulers in history were evil, murderous, and doubtless very bad for the world
in general.

I personally never play with default names - not worth it, why identify with
anyone in History, good or bad, rather than be yourself. To me, as Tomasz
implied, the default names are to play against, and it has always pleased me
to be able to destroy these evil dictators.

> Personal Info:
>
> I live in Silesia (terrain that changed .de -> .pl after WWII).
> I *AM* biased about Nazis, Comunists etc.
> Your mail is *.de
> You ARE biassed about Hitler too.
> We should better wait for someone more neutral to speak up.

Hopefully I count. I'm in .uk, young, and open-minded (even if I do have
strong political views). I think any bias I have is my own.

Also, to put in some perspective, no-one would complain at all about
Elizabeth I of England, correct? But when in power she sanctioned wholesale
slaughter (on a smaller scale) of the Irish. No ruler has ever been
completely pure and good. Just themselves, and they were all important, so
they are included.

> PS:
> Sorry for expressing myself too loudly.

And I apologise also in case I offended anyone.

> If you don't like Hitler you may like winning against him.
> Nothing forces you to play Hitler.

agreed

SamBC
The Movement for simpleLinux    https://sourceforge.net/projects/simpleLinux/