[Freeciv-Dev] Re: misc.ruleset

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: misc.ruleset
From: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:36:19 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> >; Area radius or special value "City"
> >visible_start_area   = "City"
>
> Perhaps I'm weird, but I don't like a variant type like this.  I prefer
> simple arithmetic to special cases.  Something like:
>
>     ; Square of initially visible radius (true distance).
>     init_vis_radius_sq   = 5

 One could argue that shape of the initially visible area should be square
instead of circle. Every square at edge of box is equally
difficult to reach, when moving diagonally one can reach edge of
circular area faster than otherwise.
 Well, circular area would look better and default (civ2) should not be
special case :)
 I'll make this like you suggested and possible later add option to start
with square area.

> The value for Civ1 would be 2.

 Doesn't really matter, but does civ1 really have any initially visible
area or is it just revealed by your starting units?

 Caz