[Freeciv-Dev] Re: misc.ruleset

To: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: misc.ruleset
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:01:38 -0400

At 2000/06/22 19:28 , Marko Lindqvist wrote:
> Just an example of what ruleset containing effects that previosly
>were under civstyle option currently looks. Any comments before I finish
>this patch?

Yes, this is much better than the civstyle server option!  I have a few
comments...

First, I've always figured to call this "game.ruleset".  "misc" is, IMHO,
not very descriptive.

>options="1.10"

This is the version at which the ruleset was introduced.  Likely:

    options="1.12.1"

>min_food_on_center   = 1
>min_shield_on_center = 0
>min_trade_on_center  = 0

These are minimum productions on *city* centers, right?  They are meant to
handle the "food on a mountain" special case, right?  It doesn't quite
capture the actual state of things.  Currently, in civstyle==2 mode, a city
gets an "extra" food on a Mountain, but *not* on a Glacier.  I assume
min_food_on_center=1 would give an "extra" food to a city on a Glacier.
Question: is this close enough?  Actually, I think it is close enough:

    min_city_center_food   = 1
    min_city_center_shield = 0
    min_city_center_trade  = 0

Civ1 would have all zeros.

>min_dist_bw_cities   = 2

Shouldn't this be 1 for Civ2 and 0 for Civ1?  I guess it depends upon the
interpretation of "between" (which is what _bw_ means, right?).  And, a
comment:

    ; Min distance between cities (move distance).
    min_dist_bw_cities   = 1

>; Area radius or special value "City"
>visible_start_area   = "City"

Perhaps I'm weird, but I don't like a variant type like this.  I prefer
simple arithmetic to special cases.  Something like:

    ; Square of initially visible radius (true distance).
    init_vis_radius_sq   = 5

The value for Civ1 would be 2.

>; "Nothing"  - Just flight over.
>; "Frighten" - Tribe frightened.
>hut_overflight       = "Frighten"

    ; What happens when a hut is overflown:
    ;   "Nothing"  - Just fly over; hut remains.
    ;   "Frighten" - Tribe frightened and disbands; hut disappears.
    hut_overflight       = "Frighten"

>; Boolean
>pillage_dialog       = "True"

In the other rulesets, we encode booleans as integers 0=false, 1=true.  So,
maybe:

    ; Whether player gets to select which terrain improvement to pillage.
    pillage_select       = 1

jjm