[Freeciv-Dev] Re: minimap city colors?

To: Freeciv dev list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: minimap city colors?
From: Robert Rendell <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:26:14 +1000 (EST)

Reinier Post wrote:
} Rob Rendell wrote:
} > Another option might be for players to be able to use a colour picker to
} > assign a colour to a given civ.
}
} Yes.  The distance notion would be needed here to decide
} if a colour is acceptable.

Yes, I was thinking something along these lines - you'd initialise it with
the zones around the map's predefined green, blue and black marked as used,
and then players would "claim" zones when they made their choice.

I was thinking something like (r1-r2)^2 + (g1-g2)^2 + (b1-b2)^2, defining a
sphere in the colour space.  Of course, our eyes don't percieve changes
occuring linearly in rgb space, so it might be possible to have a radius
for these spheres that gives reasonably distinct colours in some places but
very similar-looking colours in others.

} > Alternatively, each player could assign their own colour
} > scheme, and it could stay entirely client-side (but then re-starting a game
} > becomes a problem).
}
} Not necessarily, if the colour remapping is part of the client-side options
} (not tied to a game, but to a client).

Hmm - I was assuming that you'd only assign colours that are relevant for
the current game, since otherwise you're dealing with the trying-to-
assign-a-unique-colour-for-every-nation problem.  I guess you could assign
a colour to each _player_, and whatever nation they play, they come up on
your minimap as the same coloured dots...

                                                        Have fun,
                                                         Rob R.
                                                          \((/
                                                          ~oo~