[Freeciv-Dev] a few ideas

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] a few ideas
From: "Vasil Mantarov" <vasil_mantarov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 01:37:14 +0300

I recently heard about you project and decided to post some ideas – I know that most of them are rather hardly to be accomplished (in fact it is not hard to be included in the game but the problem is that the AI should be changed dramatically) but anyway – somebody may have the time to realize them.

First of all, I think that every game needs some kind of “spice” – it doesn’t matter how good the concept and the implementation are, if the game looks sterile it becomes more like some kind of application that you are forced to deal with against your own will. And I must admit – although I love them so much – that this “spice” is something that the most “civilization” type games lack. A good approach in this direction was the Firaxis’s idea of creating fractions with significantly different abilities that force you to assume some type of gameplay. Perhaps it won’t be a problem something similar to be included in FreeCiv. It also could be added some more random events making you adopt your plans for the new situation and challenging the flexibility of your mind.

Probably another thing that could make the game more colorful is the extending of the trade factor  - for example a fraction has to discover some technology and/or gain access to some map square with a specific resource to be able to produce specific product so that the city/fraction can establish a traderoute with another city/fraction that needs it. Probably it would be good that the city/fraction producer gain significant bonus in this trade. The more technology needed for producing and the better raw resources should make this trade bonus higher and rise chances of accepting the goods in the other cities. For example although MS Windows definitely is not the best OS it is sold all around the world and the incomes from MS taxes come to US while Albania for instance does not have the technology to be the leading force in the Hi-Tech business. Also it is obvious that the main trade products change as the new times come, it is normal that the newer products are more attractive for the people.

One more radical idea would be the allowance of the change of the taxes/science/luxuries percents for the different cities so that there could be created trade and academic centers. This would give more chances for success for the “micromanagement” type of players. It also would make every city look much more different from the others.

Well, I think I have to stop here. I have much more ideas but I think that these are more than enough for now.

Vasil Mantarov