[Freeciv-Dev] civ 2 compatability issue and AI bug

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] civ 2 compatability issue and AI bug
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:51:50 +0200

From the civ II manual, p34: "when a ship bombards a ground unit on shore,
the firepower of both units is reduced to one"
And more importantly (for me at least), it will make ships less
overpowering.
The attached patch should take care of it.

There is still the issue of the AI, but it on closer inspection it turns
out (apart from the fact I found lots of unrelated bugs) that the AI
already assumes it works this way. fx

int assess_defense_unit(struct city *pcity, struct unit *punit, int igwall)
{ /* one unit only, mostly for findjob; handling boats correctly 980803 --
Syela */
  int v;
  v = get_defense_power(punit) * punit->hp *
      (is_sailing_unit(punit) ? 1 : get_unit_type(punit->type)->firepower);

which does excactly the same as you would expect with my patch applied,
and which is a bug without it :)

-Thue