Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI (again!)

To: ???í?? <iquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI (again!)
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:29:11 +0200

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 09:04:09PM -0400, ???í?? wrote:
> I have seen enough arguing over the list on
> "this is unfair", "my idea will make the game more balanced", blah blah blah
> However, I find them rather inconclusive, more of personal gut feelings.
> One way to scrutinize the rules would be playing them with adaptive
> learning AIs and see if they converge to different strategies.
> Current server AI is great, but I doubt if it can be modified for this.
> This is important before Freeciv can do away from Civ1/2 rules.

But if rule is really unfair/unbalanced,
it nearly allways means
that human players will understand it,
but no AI will.

This is nice test for rule unfairness/unbalanceness.
( AI don't go for huts on poles, for example,
  nor run for Michelangelo nor Bach )

Idea of ``adaptive learning AIs'' means (in most obvious implementation)
that you make small random diffs to AI's behaviour, run game, test
which AIs were the best, and start cycle again.
This is nice for adjusting heuristical parametres, but how can it
create any completely new behaviour.