Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: transform to/from ocean bug (patch)

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: transform to/from ocean bug (patch)
From: Stephen Hodge <shodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 04:01:15 +1000

Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
> > At 2000/05/15 19:37 , Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> > >The bug was that when transforming land units would be left at sea with
> > >no transport.
> > >This patch moves land units in the sea to adjacent land tiles and
> > >transports on land to the sea. If there is no suitable terrain near we
> > >disband them. Should be applied on top of my unit move cleanup.
> >
> > I don't like this moving my units for me.  Give me at least one turn to
> > specify where I want the unit to go.
> >
> I don't like to leave them on ocean; I think you should be allowed to
> assume that ground units on ocean will ALWAYS have a transport. Otherwise
> you have to start rewriting your routines to take the other case into
> account. (I guess thats why the server gives a warning now if it happens)

Leaving them in the ocean is more in line with what CivII does. If a
ship is caught on a land square (if the city it was in is destroyed, for
example) it stays there. What does FreeCiv do in that case?
I agree with disbanding units which can't make it to a land square
though. Of course it's only a minor point so if makes the code more
complex then we're better off forcing the move.

Regards,
Steve Hodge