Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: zlib support (PR#366)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: zlib support (PR#366)
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:27:08 -0400

This simply doesn't compile on my machine!  My zlib.h doesn't say anything
about a function called gzgets().  I've probably got too old a version of
zlib.h (1.0.4).  This points out that ./configure should be smarter about
versions.

>- It is only enabled if configure with --with-zlib; it is unclear
>  to me whether it should automatically happen if configure finds
>  zlib is available: there is a time-space tradeoff when loading
>  and saving, and in some cases compressed files may be less
>  convenient?
>
>- It may be nice to also have a server option which controls the
>  compression level, and can also be used to turn compression
>  off even when compile with zlib, but the patch does not include
>  that.

Perhaps, if the library/header exist, always compile with compression
capability unless --without-zlib was specified.  Silently disable if not
found and --with-zlib not specified.  Abort with message if not found and
--with-zlib specified.

Then, add a server option (compsave?) 0..9, where 0 means no compression
(simple text, like now, and no ".gz" extension).  This way we can choose
what default we like, without it being an unchangeable configure-time
decision.

jjm