Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Infrastructure tech generalization

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Infrastructure tech generalization
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:31:42 -0400

At 2000/04/28 09:23 , Marko Lindqvist wrote:

> I figured out that with current implementation one cannot give players
>ability to build fortresses/bridges/railroads from the start of the game
>just by editing rulesets. Those abilities always require some tech.

You can by giving a tech at the beginning that allows fortresses or bridges
or railroads.

> This patch adds list of settler abilities usable from the start of the
>game (no need to research any special techs) to techs.ruleset.
>This patch also makes it possible to create ruleset where
>road/mine/irrigation abilities require some tech to be researched. Mine
>and irrigation techs are required only in order to create specials (mines
>and irrigation), not in order to change terrain type (forest->plains etc).
> I made someminor testing with gtk client. I haven't even compiled
>other clients. I haven't looked AI code yet. It can have some problems if
>road/mine/irrigation abilities are not always available.

I believe a better way is to give a "base" tech -- this way there's nothing
"special" going on.  To handle roads/mines/irrigation consistently, a few
code changes are required, plus adding the base tech.  This will be much
less intrusive to the code (e.g., no client changes) than the current patch.

jjm