Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and Civ II

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and Civ II
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:03:18 +0200

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 04:38:32PM +0300, Tuomas Airaksinen wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Egbert Hinzen wrote:
> > AFAIK there was the idea that Freeciv should become compatible to
> > Civ II... 8-)
> >
> > All programming work (except debugging) of around the last 9 months added
> > some more or less useful new features but nothing was done to get it
> > Civ II compatible... Documentation is missing, too. 8-(

Um, fog of war?

I played some Civ II in the weekend.  There are still quite a few
incompatibilities, but I consider them 'Civ II annoyances'.  Example:
when a unit is completed in a city, you lose *all* remaining production,
eg. after switching to a much cheaper unit, or after completing a settler
early.

> Why should we make Freeciv COMPATIBLE with civ2?

This has been discussed before.  The main reason is: to have a point of
reference, especially for new players.

> I suppose our goal is to make freeciv much better than civ2
> (and IMO, it is already!).

Agreed.  Both can be strived for at the same time.

--
Reinier