Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: BEOS ??

To: "lemay" <chanta62%qc.caira.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: BEOS ??
From: "jrb3@xxxxxxxx (Joseph Beckenbach III, CCP)" <jrb3@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:46:59 -0700

        On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:13:16 GMT  "lemay" wrote:

> Do you make a Beos Version in the Future ???

        Check out the project page at http://www.jrb3.com/Cosource/freeciv/.

        I've started work on a native BeOS client.  The server modifications
are already in place, but not tested.  The configuration scheme and client
areas have been set up in the repository.  There are some interesting design
issues around reconciling BeOS' pervasive multithreading with access to the
underlying store of data without causing corruption -- it might already have
been solved, I've not had enough time to dig into that part of the code.
Other issues, regarding folding the code into C++, are pretty much solved and
waiting on uninterrupted time to be validated.

        A small stable of testers have taken a truly early draft (no control
available, just the large layout) and made a few comments.  Right now I'm
evaluating several layout libraries, to speed later development and maintenance
for the dialogs.  Once I get write access into the CVS repositories, the first
pass can go in for everyone else to take a look at, poke, make fun of :-), and
in general goad me to further progress and improvement.

        Part of the blockage is still having to treat this as hobby -- go to
CoSource http://www.cosource.com/ and sponsor the "Port FreeCiv to BeOS"
project.

                Joseph Beckenbach
                current lead developer for Freeciv for BeOS