Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: draw fog on cities (PR#344)

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: draw fog on cities (PR#344)
From: Richard Atkins <rja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:25:30 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, David Pfitzner wrote:

> Currently, for fogged enemy cities the fog is drawn "underneath"
> the city flag and icon, which can make it hard to tell visually
> whether the city is fogged or not.  (Eg, for a city on the edge
> of your unfogged region; especially for solid backgrounds -- it
> becomes reasonably easy using "shield"-style flags.)
>
> This patch draws the fog over the top.  I also moved the drawing
> of the city size graphics right to the top, because otherwise they
> can be hard to read (and this also avoid obscuration by unhappiness
> or pollution etc).

Isn't it pointless being able to read the size of a fogged city clearly,
as you cannot see the accurate size anyway?

Also, in Civ1 & 2, when Barbarians turned up, they were visible as long as
they were in the explored map. Is it possible to fix freeciv to act like
this, or is it better to just treat the barbarins like another player?

> The main disadvantage of this patch is that because the city icons
> pack a fair bit of detail into only a few fixes, they can look
> a bit ugly when fogged (for trident tiles).  :-(
>
> An alternative would be to put the fog over the city_nation_flag,
> but under the city icon itself.  Though that then looks a bit
> inconsistent...

Richard

--------
       Richard Atkins  rja@xxxxxxxxxxx