Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv ai

To: freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv ai
From: "martin.mcmahon" <martin.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:56:37 +0100

Hello Peter I dont think any town should be able to support more than 10
diplomats ,the strain on the towns would be too great to support more than
this amount and it would stop AI building more than 10.also on this subject
could there not be a new diplomats later on in the game say once radio or
other new age techs and able,that would mean u would have two thing you could
do once you reached an enemy(other nations) town.

On 25-Mar-00, Peter Schaefer wrote:

>> i am an ai student and need to know about the ai in freeciv.  i have
>> started to scan the source code and it looks fairly complex.  is there
>> an overview on how the ai works (assuming i know how to play the game
>> and beat it on prince)?  it seems that there are several advisors who
>> each contribute information to a leader who makes the final decision
>> based on some heuristic.
>

> As far as I know, which isnt far, ai in freeciv is a mess, or ( , if one
> want
> to formulate it better) a combination of weights, like the advisors, that
> are
> calculated in heuristic ways, and accurate calculations like distance to
> enemy
> units of a certain type or strength, maybe summed up in stats.
> The advisor concept was the first draft of the ai and was refined into lots
> of functions,
> most of which give out accurate assesments on a certain economic or military
> topic,
> or try to do that. Accurate assesments are preferred, since  testing and
> tuning
> heuristics needs loads of test runs.
> There is additional code where idea is to duplicate human behaviour,
> like the transport and escort(combined arms) code, or basic synced attack
> code.
>
> The leader thing that you mention might mean that there is a choice between
> alternatives, each of which has been assigned a different weight.
> Unfortunately, that kind of code is lacking strategic elements, mostly
> assessing
> the local situation, which leads to most cities building walls and diplomats
> eventually.
> Which is one point people like to complain about( cf. the xxx old posts
> about the topic ).
> Adding strategic elements (accurately) probably costs too much cpu time.

Regards Martin
--
E-mail : martin.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
E-mail Pager 07713442670@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chat on #Rabble  uk3.arcnet.vapor.com port6667
see http://rabbled.cjb.net

Get Freeciv at http://www.freeciv.org

Member of G.A.U.G (Glasgow Amiga User Group)
gaug-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx